You are hereBack
Professor Sarah Kenderdine
Professor Sarah Kenderdine researches at the forefront of interactive and immersive experiences for museums and galleries. In widely exhibited installation works, she has amalgamated cultural heritage with new media art practice, especially in the realms of interactive cinema, augmented reality and embodied narrative. She is considered a pioneer in the field digital heritage, digital humanities and big data visualisation and is a regular keynote speaker at related forums internationally.
Sarah concurrently holds the position of Professor at UNSW Art & Design and Director of Visualisation for UNSW’s interdisciplinary Expanded Perception and Interaction Centre (EPICentre). She’s Deputy Director of the National Institute for Experimental Arts (NIEA) and Director of the Lab for Innovation in Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums (iGLAM) and a co-Director, iCinema Research Centre. She continues a life-long position as head of Special Projects for Museum Victoria, Australia (2003—) and was the Director of Research at the Applied Laboratory for Interactive Visualization and Embodiment (ALiVE), City University of Hong Kong (2010-2015). Sarah was elected President of the Australasian Association for Digital Humanities (aaDH) in 2016.
Awards (since 2013):
- Rankin Scholar-in-Residence 2015, Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA.
- Council for Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS) Prize for Distinctive Work 2014: the Pure Land projects.
- International Council of Museum Award (Australia) 2013: Kaladham | PLACE-Hampi, Karnakata, India.
- Australian Arts in Asia Awards Innovation Award 2013: Kaladham | PLACE-Hampi, Karnakata, India.
- Tartessos Prize 2013 for contributions to virtual archaeology worldwide.
- Digital Heritage International Congress & IMéRA Foundation Fellowship 2013 (Aix-Marseille University).
For recent selected media review, please visit:
Look Up Mumbai
Hidden Pasts / Digital Futures
Pure Land: Inside the Mogao Grottoes at Dunhuang
Keynotes and Lectures, 2013-2016:
- Keynote, Electronic Visualisation and the Arts Australasia (EVAA), National Porttrat Gallery / University of Canberra, Canberra Australia, 4-6 March 2016
- Keynote, ‘A Proliferation of Aura’, Digital Masterpiece, BetaZone, World Economic Forum, Davos, 21-24 January 2016
- Invited Speaker, ‘Embodied Museography’, Art Museum Summit, Asia Society NY and HK, Hong Kong, 19-20 November 2015.
- Keynote, ‘Toward an embodied museography: public engagement with digital cultural heritage ‘, Deakin Trend Series, Deakin University, 4 November 2015.
- Keynote, ‘Engagement Science: immersive virtual environments in the public domain’ Inaugral Researcher in the Library Seminar, Melbourne University, 27 October 2015.
- Keynote, ‘Deep Mapping to Data Sculpting ‘ eResearch, Brisbane, Australia 19-23 October 2015
- Keynote: ‘Cultural Data in the Age of Experience’, TNC, Porto, Portugal, 14-19 June 2015.
- Invited Lecture, ‘Cultural Heritage in Future Museum’, University of Lisbon, organised by Centre for Art History and Artistic Research (CHAIA), University of Évora, 1 June 2015.
- Invited Lecture: ‘In the Age of Experience . . .' Drexel University, 8 May 2015 (fellowship award)
- Keynote: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting in the Age of Experience’, Digital Densities, Digital Humanities Incubator, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, 26-27 March 2015
- Invited Lecture: Australian National Data Service annual Conference, Canberra, 2 April 2015
- Public Lecture: ‘The Age of Experience: Cultural Heritage and the Future of Museums, University of Western Australia, 11 March 2015
- Invited Lecture: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting: Narratives for Heterogeneous Archives’, Digital Humanities Seminar, UWA Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Western Australia, 9 March 2015
- Keynote: ‘The Age of Experience: from 3D Capture to the Future of Museums’, REAL 2015, San Francisco, 26-28 February 2015
- Keynote: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting: Creating Immersive Experiences from Digital Archives’, ALIA 2015, Sydney, February 2015
- Keynote: Digital Humanities Australasia 2014: Expanding Horizons, 18-21 March, Perth (http://dha2014.org/programme/keynote-speakers)
- Lecture: "mARChive Sculpting Museum Victoria’s collections," Museums and the Web 2014 Baltimore, 2-5th April (http://mw2014.museumsandtheweb.com/)
- Workshop: "I-Sho-U: An Innovative Method for Museum Visitor Evaluation," Museums and the Web 2014, Baltimore, 2-5th April (http://mw2014.museumsandtheweb.com/)
- Invited Lecture: "New Technologies and the Future of the Humanities," Hong Kong, 15-17 May, (http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/digitalhumanities/)
- Invited Keynote: ‘Inhabiting the Cultrual Imaginary’ TEDxGATEWAY, Mumbai (December)
- Invited Lecture: ‘Hong Kong Martial Arts Living Archive: A comprehensive digital archival strategy for intangible heritage‘, Museums and the Web Asia Hong Kong, (Decemnber)
- Invited Workshop: Museums and the Web Asia, ‘Digital Immersion’, Beijing, China (December)
- Keynote: ‘The Proliferation of Aura: Digital Replication & Exhibition‘, CYARK 500, Tower of London, London (October).
- Invited Lecture: ‘The Migration of Aura: Inhabiting the Caves’, International Symposium of Electronic Art (ISEA 2013), University of NSW, Kensington, NSW, Australia, (July)
- Invited Lecture: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting: Building the Future of Immersive Museum Experiences ‘ Department of History of Art and Architecture, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, (March)
- Keynote: ‘Inhabiting the Cultural Imaginary: Future Trends in Interpretation’, Museum Computer Network Annual Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, (March)
- Invited Lecture: ‘Beyond Facsimile: Inhabiting the Caves‘ TELDAP 2013, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, (March)
- Keynote: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting: Visualization, Embodiment and Big Data’, Digital Humanities Colloquium, Austin College, Sherman, Texas, (February)
- Keynote: ‘Inhabiting the Cultural Imaginary: Future Trends in Interpretation of Cultural Collections’ Crow Collection Museum, Dallas, Texas (February)
- Invited Lecture: ‘Cultural Data Sculpting: Inhabiting Heterogeneous Archives’ UT Dallas, Texas, Dallas, (February)
Committee and Conference Affiliations, 2013-2016:
- Co-Chair: Digital Humanities Knowledge Visualization, 20th International Conference Information Visualisation,19-22 July 2016, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa ● Lisbon ● Portugal
- Co-Chair: Visualization, Art, & Design, 20th International Conference Information Visualisation,19-22 July 2016, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa ● Lisbon ● Portugal
- Co-Chair: Digital Humanities Knowledge Visualization, 19th International Conference Information Visualisation, 21-24 July 2015, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Co-Chair: Visualization, Art, & Design, 19th International Conference Information Visualisation, 21-24 July 2015, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Co-chair: Digital Humanities Knowledge Visualization (DHKV) 18th International Conference Information Visualization, July 2013, Paris, France
- Co-chair: Virtual System and Multimedia (VSMM), December, Hong Kong, China
- Co-chair: Visualization, Art, & Design (VAD) 18th International Conference Information Visualization, July 2013, Paris
- Co-chair: Digital Humanities Knowledge Visualization, DHKV, 17th International Conference Information Visualization, July 2013, London, UK
- Chair: Museums Track, Digital Heritage International Congress, Marseille, France, 28 Oct-1 Nov 2013, Marseille, France
- Program Committee: Museums and the Web, April 2014, Baltimore, USA
- Program Committee: Laval Virtual, March 2014, Laval, France
- Program Committee: Digital Humanities Symposium, May 2014, Hong Kong, China
- Program Committee: Museums and the Web, 17-21 April 2013, Portland, USA
- Program Committee: Culture and Computing, 16-18, September 2013, Kyoto, Japan
Head, Special Projects, Museum Victoria
Associate Director, iCinema Centre for Interactive Cinema Research
Adjunct Professor, RMIT University
Adjunct Professor, Applied Laboratory of Interactive Visualisation and Embodiment (ALiVE), City University, Hong Kong
Virtual Museum Transnational Network (v-must)
International Society of Virtual Systems and Multimedia (VSMM, IEEE)
Australia ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites)