National Institute for Experimental Arts
The National Institute for Experimental Arts (NIEA) at UNSW is a dynamic experimental research facility integrating COFA’s research centres, groups and galleries. Built on key research strengths in digital media, social, environmental and community based application of the arts, NIEA aims to produce internationally leading research that address national priorities and global problems, including environmental sustainability, digital and frontier technologies, indigenous culture and inter-cultural relations. NIEA promotes innovative theory and practice-based research through cross-disciplinary collaboration and close partnerships with a variety of Australian and international universities, industry and community groups.
With a unique purpose-built gallery and laboratory facility under development for 2012, NIEA provides an enhanced platform for curatorial exhibitions and research. It is initiating a research and exhibition program that will pioneer new models of cross-institutional exhibition making.
The National Institute for Experimental Arts is committed to:
- The development of pioneering experimental arts and media that address contemporary social, cultural and environmental issues;
- Exploring the parameters of disciplines through research-led creative practice, leading to new interdisciplinary formations, technologies and applications;
- Forging partnerships with the community, professions, institutions and industry;
- Working collaboratively with leading centres in the global arena;
- Increasing public understanding and participation with regard to practice and deployment of contemporary arts;
- Promoting engagement with leading research practice.
NIEA Board (Chair)
- Emeritus Professor Mark Wainwright AM FTSE
- Emeritus Professor Sue Rowley (CIIC, UTS)
- Distinguished Visiting Professor Terry Smith (UNSW, Pittsburgh)
- Emeritus Professor Paul Compton
- Professor Ian Howard (Dean, COFA UNSW)
- Professor Jill Bennett (Associate Dean Research, COFA, UNSW; Director, NIEA and CCAP)
- Professor Dennis Del Favero (Director, iCinema Centre UNSW; Deputy Director, NIEA)
- Professor Ross Harley (Head, School of Media Arts; Deputy Director, NIEA)
- Bridget Smyth (Director Design, City of Sydney)